COOKING ON THE RUN HOME FOR THE WEEKEND
JALAPENO POPPER BITES
Easy Jalapeño Popper Bites are sure to be the hit of your party! This extra delicious appetizer is creamy, cheesy, spicy, bite-sized and did I mention loaded with bacon?
• 8 oz cream cheese, softened (light cream cheese is okay)
• 3 to 4 green onions, thinly sliced
• 2 jalapeños, seeded and diced (use less or more depending on preference)
• 8 slices bacon, cooked and crumbled
• 8 oz pepper jack cheese, shredded
• 4 oz sharp cheddar cheese, shredded
• Phyllo dough
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
- In a medium bowl, stir together cream cheese, green onions, jalapeños, bacon, pepper jack and sharp cheddar cheese.
- Spray muffin pan or butter cups lay phyllo down and press in
- Spoon a rounded teaspoon of the filling into phyllo cups in mini muffin pan .
- Top with additional bacon and cheese if desired.
- Bake for 8 to 10 minutes or until filling is bubbly and cheese is melted.
- Serve immediately
NOTE: try subbing Jalapenos and bacon for spinach and feta for the Jack cheese for easy Spanakopita
Try with wonton wraps too
Jalapeno Popper Wonton Cups
• 12 wonton wrappers I found them in the produce section of my local grocery store
• 4 oz. cream cheese softened
• 1/2 c. sour cream
• 12 oz. bacon cooked & crumbled (reserve 2 Tbsp.)
• 1 c. shredded cheddar cheese reserve 2 Tbsp.
• 3-4 jalapeños seeded and chopped (*for more spice, do not remove all the seeds)
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Spray muffin pan with cooking spray.
- Place one wonton wrapper in each muffin cup; bake 8 minutes or until lightly browned.
- Remove from oven and cool slightly.
- In a medium-sized mixing bowl, stir together cream cheese, sour cream, bacon, cheddar cheese, and chopped jalapeños.
- Spoon filling into wonton cups, then sprinkle with reserved bacon and cheese.
- Return to oven and bake for an additional 8-10 minutes, until wontons are golden brown and cheese is melted.
SPINACH, BACON, AND GRUYÈRE BREAKFAST STRATA
• 4 center-cut bacon slices
• 1 1/2 cups chopped yellow onion (about 1 medium onion)
• 4 garlic cloves, thinly sliced
• 6 ounces fresh spinach, chopped
• 6 ounces crusty whole-grain bread, cut into 1-in. cubes
• 3 ounces cave-aged Gruyère cheese, shredded (3/4 cup)
• Cooking spray
• 3/4 cup 1% low-fat milk
• 3/4 cup plain 2% reduced-fat Greek yogurt
• 4 large eggs
• 2 large egg whites
• 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
• 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
• 1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
• How to Make It
• Cook bacon in a large skillet over medium until crisp, about 6 minutes. Transfer bacon to a paper towel-lined plate, reserving 1 1/2 tablespoons drippings in skillet; discard any remaining drippings. Finely chop bacon; set aside.
• Add onion and garlic to drippings in skillet over medium-high heat; cook, stirring occa¬sionally, until onion is browned and tender, about 10 minutes. Add spinach; cook until spinach wilts, about 2 minutes, stirring constantly. Toss together chopped bacon, onion mixture, bread cubes, and cheese in a large bowl. Arrange mixture evenly in an 8-inch square glass or ceramic baking dish coated with cooking spray.
• Combine milk, yogurt, eggs, egg whites, mustard, pepper, and salt in a large bowl; stir with a whisk until well combined. Pour evenly over bread mixture. Cover and chill 8 hours or overnight.
• Preheat oven to 350°F. Uncover baking dish; let strata stand at room temperature as oven preheats. Bake strata in preheated oven until top of strata is browned and a knife inserted in center comes out clean, about 1 hour. Let strata stand for 5 minutes before serving.
• 1 1/2 pounds ripe tomatoes, diced
• 3/4 teaspoon kosher salt
• 1/2 (14.1-oz.) pkg. refrigerated piecrust (Pillsbury is best in dairy section/red box)
• 1 1/2 cups cheddar cheese
• 2 tablespoons chopped fresh basil
• ½ cup mayo
• 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
How to Make It
• Preheat oven to 450°F. Place tomato slices in a single layer on a baking sheet lined with paper towels. Sprinkle with salt, and let stand 15 minutes.
• Press piecrust into a 9-inch round pie plate, and flute edges. Prick crust all over with a fork. Bake in preheated oven until golden, about 10 minutes. Remove from oven.
• Reduce oven temperature to 350°F. Stir together all ingredients and place evenly on bottom of warm crust.
• Bake at 350°F until golden and bubbly, about 35 minutes, tenting with aluminum foil after 20 minutes. Let stand 15 minutes before serving.